Mattress cleaning is a tricky business. Since the mattress is the place where you sleep, you spend considerable time there and you should be absolutely certain that it is properly sanitized.
Professional cleaning services like Monster Cleaning are easily accessible these days. Most professional cleaning contractors offer them and they come on reasonable prices. It would be a good idea to have your mattresses cleaned once every few months. For the rest of the time, it is better to be acquainted with the strategies you might apply in order to make the best out of the mattress cleaning you are going to carry out on your own.
- Start off by carefully cleaning the mattress with a vacuum cleaner. This will keep the mattress clean for longer, because it will not get that dirty in case it gets wet.
- Any upholstery cleaner product will help you battle stains and dirt that have sunk deep in the surface of your mattress, so make sure you are supplied with such products. Enzyme cleaners will also do the trick.
- Stains on a mattress can also be comparatively easy battled with the help of citrus type cleaners. Spray the damaged area and blot it with an absorbent cloth. Make sure not to scrub, because this will only spread the stain.
- Blood stains on a mattress are best cleaned with hydrogen peroxide. Again apply the product on the damaged area and blot. This strategy is no guarantee that the stain is going to be completely removed but it will definitely help make it less visible. After you do that you can try rinsing the stain with cold water to completely remove it.
- A homemade cleaning solution for removing blood stains from mattress that has proven to be very efficient includes baking soda and cold water in 1:2 proportion. Apply the paste on the stain and let it stay there for about half an hour. A cloth damped in cold water is to be used in order to remove it afterwards. Use a dry towel to absorb any moisture left. A table spoon of liquid dishwasher detergent would have more or less the similar effect, but it can be much messier, so you decide which of the two receipts you are going to apply for the purpose of your mattress cleaning.
- If you are a heavy smoker, chances are that your mattress has absorbed the bad odour of cigarettes deep in its fabrics. One solution is to apply one of the strategies described above in order to soak the whole mattress. This however is quite a lot of work, so either get professional mattress cleaning services, or just make sure to wash your bed linen as frequently as possible. There are also several sprays (like Lysol spray) that may help. Spray each side of the mattress with one can of spray and leave it outside in the sun for a day in order to remove any bad odour.